A Mother's Day Celebration!

Welcome!  I'm so glad you're here!

With this Sunday being Mother's Day,
I thought it would be lovely to shine our light
on the mothers in our lives that are special to us.

I can think of so many mothers that have inspired me.
The aunts that were a constant part of my childhood.
The ladies in my life who work,
and devote their time outside of work to making a happy family.
The moms who truly appreciate being able to stay at home with their children,
even when it's hard work.
The mothers in my family who showed me how to be a mother
by their fine examples of kindness and love.
The friends who encourage, offer humor
and are comrades in the journey of motherhood.

My own mother - how to find the words?
My mother (left) and sister Annie, about 6 and 7 years old.

 The ninth of ten children,
my mother was born and raised on a farm in 
the town of Moycullen, Galway, Ireland.
Bridie, Julie, John, Paddy, Micael, Maureen, Bartley, Tommy, Peggy, Annie
 (oldest to youngest - say that 10 times fast!)

At 20 she moved across the sea from her beloved parents 
 to live with her brother and two sisters in Boston.
By age 23 she was happily married,
and by 24 she was a mother.
She had 4 babies in less than 6 years.

At age 34 she became a widow.

She was left by herself to care for children at the wee ages of 10, 7, 6 and 4.
She raised us up, living a life of devout faith,
teaching us and loving us and always being there for us.
And feeding us steak that was as tough as shoe leather...
but a person can't be good at everything!
She was funny even then,
even when she could have just curled up in a ball on the couch all day and night. 
She made a happy home for us.
She was silly, wacky, embarrassing, strict,
a big yeller behind which was a huge softy.
She was affectionate, calling us words of endearment in Irish.
She was and still is the one our friends want to confide in.
If you met her for the first time you might mistake her for being
quiet, mild, even tempered. 
Little would you know she's a spitfire not to be crossed. 
In my memory she has put the following people in their place: 
a police officer (for pulling her over - how dare he!),
a priest, the high school principal, many a neighborhood hooligan,
and anyone who dared drive me home after curfew when I was 16. 
While for the most part I always knew I had a gem for a mother,
I regret to inform you that I had some moments in my youth when
I was undeserving of her love.
Moments that involved rolling my eyes,
writing in my journal about how mean and strict my mother was,
and feeling annoyed that she was meddling in my life.
Fast forward to my own motherhood:
uh, yeah.
Payback's a @#$%&*!
Mum, I beg your forgiveness for ever being a complete moron.

Now please stop feeding your grandchildren Oreos for breakfast
as retribution for all my transgressions. 
Thank you for showing me the way, for putting up with me
and for loving me beyond all measure.
Thank you for being an incredible grandmother who is involved
with your grandchildren's lives
and makes them feel important and cherished and loved.

You are...a grandmother, sister, aunt, friend,
kind caregiver of the elderly, lover of nature,
gardener, reader, baker, American Idol viewer,
and
I am so blessed
to call you
Mother.


Okay ladies,
shine your light on a someone
that has enriched your life by being a wonderful mother!
I look forward to hearing from each and every one of you!
Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

After commenting, head over to one of my favorite places,
The Inspired Room, for fabulous inspiration and ideas for living authentically!

Labels: